I love to stay home and stay home we do. During my early days of motherhood, I didn't quite know what to do with myself each day. I relyed on other new moms for my entertainment and spent many a happy morning at a playdate, nibbling on scones and other morning treats and drinking yummy cups of coffee. I learned alot from those women. Especially my sister. Each woman added something to my direction that I've taken in my motherhood journey.
Fast forward six years later. If I'm going to leave my sanctuary now days, I need some kind of project or learning opportunity that is going to transpire and make it worth all the hassle of getting packed up and out of the house. Whether it be a kid craft project or a book discussion, I need to have walked away thinking that a.) my kids learned something (yea! school's out for the day!) or b.) I've been inspired my someone or something that is going to make me a better mama/wife/friend/sister/daughter. Now that reads so terribly. No one is ever going to invite me anywhere again! What I really mean is that it is really hard to get out the door on time with 3 young kids. It is stressful and time-consuming. I need bang for my buck.
During the week, we're home as much as possible. I'm not one to run around to one activity after another. Two mid-week kid activities...that is the limit. Oh, and you have to be at least 5 years old to get to do the activities. Right now, Macy is involved with Pioneer Club (another version of Awana) and Girl's Club, an activity I made up to foster the love of hospitality and practical homemaking skills. Our family activities include bible study (12 kids in attendance) and church. So that is 12 days per month that social activities that are scheduled. Now add in at least 2 field trips a month (this month was the Conservatory for a "tour of the senses" and a retirement home to sing Christmas Carols and pass out gifts. Oh, I guess we went to the Children's Museum too and then there was Conner Prairie to see the Gingerbread Houses.) So, four field trips this month. So, I'm up to 16 dates on the calendar so far this month. Now, add in family fun activites. This month we went to a Christmas puppet show, a visit with Santa and his reindeer, and an "Evening in Bethlehem" production. We enjoyed a Christmas brunch with friends and are looking forward to a party next week. Okay, so we're up to 21 engagements. Perhaps December is a bit busier than other months, now that I think about it, but seriously, my point is is that the activities add up and that adds up to alot of running around/getting ready/hearding kids! Now I need to add in grocery store visits (once a week) and perhaps 2 or 3 additional errands a week. Now I'm up to 28 things on my to do list. Okay, perhaps I can do more than one thing a day, that's reasonable, but still, I wonder...how can I simplify? That's what I'm going to be thinking about between now and January 1st. Stay tuned. This mama is on a mission!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment