Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Three Cheers for Chapter Books!
I was laying in bed reading and Macy bounced (yes, she bounces...especially at night, that's when she has the most energy) into our room and announced, "I've finished my first chapter book, all by myself!" Wow. I was impressed. The last library visit, she asked to check out 8 chapter books and I had her pare in down to 2 thinking she'd never read them by the time they were due. We've been reading them aloud together and it takes us at least a week to get through one together, aloud. So, of course, being the Charlotte Mason fan that I am, I immediately went into "narration mode" and started asking her all sorts of questions. Wow...she really did read it! It was one of the Junie B. books. The funniest part of this whole thing is that Macy looks just like Junie B! The loose teeth, the glasses, the unkept hair...they could be twins. That isn't to be mean, it is just true. Junie is darling and my sweet Macy is double darling. So, she asked for more books to read. I sent her to her room with a shorter book (all that we had) and she returned in 45 minutes, done. Wow. Double impressed. She was so excited. After 5 minutes of narration drilling, she begged me for more books. I was so excited to be prepared! I went downstairs and came back up with a stack of books I had found at a garage sale, all for first graders. She opened up the first one and asked why I had given her a baby book. I took a closer look (I bought them as they were for first grade, they said so on the covers!) and yes, they were baby books! They were way too easy! I gave her a big hug and said "Macy, that's why we are homeschooling! You would be reading these if you went to school, but the skys the limit, you can read anything and no one tells you what level you are!" Three cheers for homeschooling! I'm encouraged! Double encouraged. Triple encouraged! It is working! She loves it! Praise the Lord. Now, if I could just get her to keep her hair neat all day...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment